Historic District Office & Theater Renovation
Originally Napa High School, this magnificent, historic 1922 neoclassical building was later repurposed as the Napa Education Center, housing the District offices and auditorium for Napa Valley Unified School District. Unfortunately, the 5.1 magnitude Yountville earthquake in 2000 heavily damaged the building, closing the theater and making the offices unsafe for occupancy. With California Office of Emergency Services funding, QKA installed a series of hidden steel-braced frames and other structural upgrades – without impacting the historic façades – to make it seismically safe, as well as renovated its administration, board room spaces, and historic performing arts theater.
The renovation of the auditorium included improving theatrical and patron amenities – the theater’s false ceiling was removed to uncover a detailed ceiling and proscenium, the 1960s seating was replaced, new house and stage lighting, acoustical systems and fly-loft rigging were installed, and the lobby and back stage areas were renovated. The theater’s 650 seats are now split between a 470-seat main floor and a 180-seat balcony, and is available for public use.