Demolished to the foundation and rebuilt a 1,425 square foot house and adding 2,250 square foot addition
Quattrocchi Kwok Architects was approached by the ABC program Extreme Makeover: Home Edition to provide the design and construction administration services for a home they selected in Penngrove, Sonoma County. Shelby, the daughter of the selected family, wrote ABC about her rare allergy to the sun that made it impossible for her to be outdoors for more than a few minutes. Their nearly 100 year old home was extremely dilapidated and offered little protection from the sun.
ABC wanted a major renovation and addition to the 1930’s farm house for their July 2004 taping — construction occurs over five days. With less than a month to design and get permits, QKA worked with the selected contractor to provide numerous amenities for Shelby and her family including:
- A three bedroom home with deep overhang porches and UV blocking windows that allow harmless daylight to enter the house.
- A new pool, waterfall and outdoor lawn with UV blocking sail cloth
- Large kitchen/ family room with covered outdoor eating area at the new two sided fire place.
- Converted old barn into recreation room with wine tasting bar and storage.
- All new utilities, new well, septic system and photovoltaic panels.
Over five days thousands of construction volunteers transformed Shelby’s home and touched the hearts of everyone involved.